Sunday, December 4, 2011

CHEEZ WHIZ 1.0

This afternoon I presented a Cheese Tasting/Lecture in my home.  It was a great deal of fun and my "students" had great questions and comments. 

I hadn't taught for awhile, so I was a little nervous, but it all came back to me.  A bunch of years ago I taught a five-month series of Cheese Seminars at Zabar's -- we had them on the Housewares Mezzanine.  If you've ever been to Zabar's Housewares Mezzanine, you are probably laughing right now, wondering how we fit a CHEESE CLASS up there, with about 30 seated attendees, but we did!

This one was a lot more roomy.  I live in a small apartment, but at least we didn't have to compete with people trying to find the copper cookware.

Here's a picture of one of the cheese plates.  Every attendee got one, of course. 

The first cheese we ate is at the "three o'clock" position on this plate, as it is shown above.  That's the cave-aged, hand-ladled Normandy Camembert from Isigny.  Going counter-clockwise, at the "two o'clock" position, we have Moringhello, a rare and wonderful aged water buffalo cheese from the Lombardy region of Italy.  Continuing on, we have Vallée d'Aspe Chèvre, an aged raw goat cheese from the Aspe Valley in the French Pyrénées.  Then, we have Emmi's Kaltbach Cave-Aged Emmentaler, a raw milk cheese, aged for twelve months, nine of them in natural sandstone caves near Lucerne, Switzerland.  Finally, down at "six o'clock", we have MitiBleu, a lovely sheep's milk blue from La Mancha, Spain.

It was fun and I look forward to the next CHEEZ WHIZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment